Skip to main content

Records of The Cooper Union Green Camp

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: RG.005

Scope and Contents

The Records of The Cooper Union Green Camp document the history of Green Camp as a satellite campus of The Cooper Union from the first year of use in 1941 to the sale of the land in 1973. Arranged in the order in which they were received, these records document various aspects of Green Camp life, from administrative policies and procedures, to invitations and for events such as staff picnics and student trips, to descriptions of courses taking place at Green Camp, to copies of handmade publication like The Green Leaf and The Survey. Items such as maps, photos, receipts, menus, film, and transportation and event details document what daily life was like for students, faculty and staff at Green Camp. Additionally, these records include correspondence with outside institutions that made use of the Green Camp land.

Dates

  • 1941 - 1973

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Most materials in this collection are open to researchers without restriction. Photographs featuring students may be unavailable due to FERPA regulations. Contact the archives at archives@cooper.edu to learn more.

Biographical / Historical

The land for the Green Engineering Camp was presented to The Cooper Union in 1940 by Norvin Hewitt Green, a great-grandson of Peter Cooper, in memory of his mother, Amy Hewitt Green. Through the philanthropy of Mr. Green, ten farm buildings were converted into dormitories, work and recreation buildings. Alumni contributions financed the construction of hard-surfaced playing courts in the recreational areas, and a dam across the Ringwood River that provided a swimming hole near the main area of the Camp.

The Green Camp was used for student and staff activities, from landscape painting and courses in surveying to staff picnics and student square dances. Due to financial constraints in the mid- 1970s, Cooper Union transferred Green Camp to the State of New Jersey, Division ofParks and Forestry.

The grounds of the Camp were once the “home farm” of Ringwood Manor, the country estate of Peter Cooper and his son-in-law, Abram S. Hewitt. In the Revolutionary War era, General Robert Erskine, surveyor-general of the Continental Army, was director of a mine on the property from which was extracted iron for the muskets and cannons of Colonial soldiers. Also produced from the mines and forges of Ringwood Manor were mortars and gun carriages for the Northern Army in the Civil War.

Extent

16.92 Linear Feet (3 large flat boxes, 2 small flat boxes, 12 cartons, and 5 oversized items (4 bound books and 1 framed photograph))

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Records of The Cooper Union Green Camp document the history of Green Camp as a satellite campus of The Cooper Union from 1941 to 1973, and includes administrative files, publications, invitations, correspondence, scrapbooks, photos and film.

Arrangement

This collection has been arranged in the order that it was received.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection was acquired from Green Camp in accordance with the college records retention policy.

Status
Completed
Author
Mitsuko Brooks
Date
June 2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Revision Statements

  • May 2021: Record migrated to ArchivesSpace by Mary Mann.

Repository Details

Part of the The Cooper Union Archives & Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Cooper Union Library
7 East 7th Street
New York New York 10003 United States