Commencement Records of The Cooper Union
Scope and Contents
The Commencement Records of The Cooper Union span the years 1860 through today, and consists of programs, press releases, lists of awards given, commencement addresses, and correspondence with speakers at Cooper Union commencement ceremonies. Highlights include correspondence with, and the speeches of, commencement speakers including author Tom Wolfe (1980), New York City Mayor Ed Koch (1985), Nobel laureate Russell Hulse (1994), and artist Milton Glaser (1997). The collection is added to yearly, and is arranged by date.
- Creation: 1860-current
- Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Most materials in this collection are open to researchers without restriction. Photographs featuring students may be unavailable due to FERPA regulations. Contact the archives at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish materials must be obtained in writing from The Cooper Union Archives and Special Collections. For more information please email email@example.com.
Biographical / Historical
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art is a private college in New York City. Cooper Union was established in 1859 as a free educational institution divided into a "School of Design for Females," focused primarily on engraving, and a "Department of Night Instruction," offering clases in architectural, free-hand, and mechanical drawing, chemistry, mechanical philosophy, mathematics, and music. Today, the school offers degrees in art, engineering, and architecture and is located in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan.
4.711 Linear Feet (2 cartons, 6 full boxes, 1 half box)
Language of Materials
The Commencement Records of the Cooper Union consists of programs, press releases, lists of awards given, commencement addresses, and correspondence with speakers at Cooper Union commencement ceremonies.
These records are added to yearly and arranged according to date by staff at the Cooper Union archives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was acquired from The Cooper Union Office of the President and the Office of Public Affairs in accordance with the college records retention policy.
- Wolfe, Tom (Person)
- Koch, Ed, 1924-2013 (Person)
- Vonnegut, Kurt (Person)
- Friedan, Betty (Person)
- Dickey, James (Person)
- Merwin, W. S. (William Stanley), 1927-2019 (Person)
- Hunter-Gault, Charlayne (Person)
- Lionni, Leo, 1910-1999 (Person)
- Tufte, Edward R., 1942- (Person)
- Messinger, Ruth W. (Person)
- Hulse, R. A. (Person)
- Hoberman, Chuck, 1956- (Person)
- Glaser, Milton (Person)
- Giuliani, Rudolph W. (Person)
- Mitsuko Brooks
- February 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2021: Record migrated to ArchivesSpace by Mary Mann.
- Container: Box 1 (1860-1900) (Mixed Materials)
- Container: Box 2 (1901-1941) (Mixed Materials)
- Container: Box 3 (1942-1960) (Mixed Materials)
- Container: Box 4 (1961-1977) (Mixed Materials)
- Container: Box 5 (1978-1993) (Mixed Materials)
- Container: Box 6 (1994-2008) (Mixed Materials)
- Container: Box 7 (2009-2022) (Mixed Materials)
- Container: Box 8 (1975-1990) (Mixed Materials)
- Container: Box 9 (1991-2022) (Mixed Materials)