Annual Reports of The Cooper Union
Scope and Contents
This collection contains annual reports authored variously by The Cooper Union Board of Trustees, department heads, the Director of The Cooper Union (a position that terminated in 1950), and the President of The Cooper Union (a position created in 1950). The contents of the Annual Reports have evolved over the years, reflecting the changing culture of both the college and the country in which it operates. Reports published from 1860 to 1926 include names of all students who received a diploma, certificate, medal or award that year. Many early reports also include lists of lectures given in the Great Hall. After The Cooper Union Museum for the Arts of Decoration opened in 1895, the annual reports began to include visitor statistics and itemized lists of donated items. Reports from 1946 to 1948 include meditations on social philosophy and information on the enrollment of World War II veterans; meanwhile, reports published between 1970 and 1983 are solely financial.
- Creation: 1860-2010; missing: 1863, 1865, 1867, 1869, 1870, 1880, 1926-1938, 1962-1970
- Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art (Organization)
- Tisdall, Fitzgerald (Person)
- Richards, Charles R. (Charles Russell), 1865-1936 (Person)
- Burdell, Edwin Sharp (Person)
- Hewitt, Sarah, 1859-1930 (Person)
- Zachos, J. C. (John Celivergos), 1820-1898 (Person)
- Plympton, George W. (George Washington), 1827-1907 (Person)
- Carter, Susan N. (Person)
- Iselin, John Jay (Person)
- Lacy, Bill (Person)
- Dunn, Gano, 1870-1953 (Person)
- Campbell, George, Jr. (Person)
- The Cooper Union Board of Trustees (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restriction.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish materials must be obtained in writing from The Cooper Union Archives and Special Collections. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
Early annual reports were typically coauthored by the Director of the Cooper Union, the Board of Trustees, and department heads, including Curator of the public reading room and Directors of the Cooper Union Museum for the Arts of Decoration. From 1944 to 1950 annual reports were authored solely by the Director of the Cooper Union. The position of President was introduced in 1950, replacing that of Director, and responsibility for the annual report has since belonged to the Office of the President.
5 Linear Feet (5 record cartons containing mixed hardback multi-year volumes and paperback individual year volumes )
Language of Materials
This collection contains annual reports authored variously by The Cooper Union's Board of Trustees, the Director of The Cooper Union, and the President of The Cooper Union.
This collection has been arranged by date.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was acquired from various offices in accordance with the college records retention policy
- Mary Mann
- May 2021
- Language of description
- Script of description